Research can help us understand our world and change it
Tom’s research informs the work that he does at Shamiri Institute and at Cultural Agents. His research draws from the idea that psychological theory from diverse perspectives can help us understand and improve the human experience. Not only can research help us understand our world, it can inspire us impactful evidence-based interventions for everyday people.
Tom’s current research is focused on developing scalable low-touch mental health interventions, appreciating the role of culture in the development and treatment of mental health, and social decision-making.
Tom’s research has resulted into >15 publications in leading journals including JAMA Psychiatry, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Journal of Affective Disorders and many others.
For more on Tom's research, please visit his Google Scholar
page. Tom's research have been cited > 170 times (h-index = 8, i10 index = 5).
- Wasil, A.R., Corinne K.N., Osborn, T.L.,Palermo, E.H., DeRubeis, J.R., Weisz, J.R., & Yates, B.T. (In Press).Economic evaluation of an online single session intervention for depression inKenyan adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
- Wasil, A.R., Park,S.J., Gillespie, S., Venturo-Conerly, K.E., Osborn, T.L., DeRubeis, R.J, Hollon, S.D., Weisz, J.R, &Jones, P.J. (In Press). Which symptoms of depression and anxiety are most strongly associated with happiness? A network analysis of Indian andKenyan adolescents. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Venturo-Conerly, K., Roe, E., Wasil, A., Osborn, T.L, Ndetei,D., Musyimi, C., Mutiso, V., Wasanga, C., Weisz, J. (InPress). Training and supervising lay-providers in Kenya: Strategies and mixed-methods outcomes.Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
- Wasil, A.R., Venturo-Conerly, K.E., Gillespie, S., Osborn, T.L. (In Press). In their own words: Using open-ended assessment to identify culturally relevant concerns among Kenyan adolescents. Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry.
- Venturo-Conerly, K., Roe, E., Wasil, A., Osborn, T.L, Ndetei,D., Musyimi, C., Mutiso, V., Wasanga, C., Weisz, J. (InPress). Training and supervising lay-providers in Kenya: Strategies and mixed-methods outcomes. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice.
- Venturo-Conerly, K.E., Osborn, T.L., Wasil, A.R., Huong L., Corrigan, E., Wasanga, C.M., & Weisz, J.R. (In Press). Testing the Effects of the Shamiri Intervention and its components on anxiety, depression, wellbeing, and academic functioning in Kenyan adolescents: Study protocol for a five-arm randomized controlled trial.Trials.
- Osborn, T.L., Venturo-Conerly, K.E. †,Arango G, S., Roe, E., Rodriguez, M., Alemu, R.G., … Weisz, J.R. (2021). Effect of Shamiri layperson-provided intervention vs study skills control intervention for depression and anxiety symptoms in adolescents in Kenya: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 78(8), 829-837. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2021.1129
- Osborn, T. L.,Kleinman, A., & Weisz J.R. (2021). Complementing standard western measures of depression with locally co-developed instruments: A cross-cultural study on the experience of depression with the Luo in Kenya. Transcultural Psychiatry, 58(4), 499-515. https://doi.org/10.1177/13634615211000555
- Campbell, S. & Osborn, T.L.†(2021).Adolescent psychopathology and psychological wellbeing: A network analysis approach. BMC Psychiatry, 21 (333). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-021-03331-x
- Wasil, A.R., Osborn, T.L, Weisz J.R. & DeRubeis J.R. (2021). Online single-session interventions for Kenyan adolescents: study protocol for a comparative effectiveness randomised controlled trial. General Psychiatry,34:e100446. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/gpsych-2020-100446
- Wasil, A.R., Osborn, T.L, Venturo-Conerly,K.E., Wasanga, C., & Weisz J.R. (2021). Conducting global mental health research: lessons learned from Kenya. Global Mental Health, 8(E8). https://doi.org/10.1017/gmh.2021.7
- Osborn, T. L., Venturo-Conerly, K. E.,Wasil, A., Rodriguez, M., Roe, E., Arango, S., Alemu, R., Gan, J., Schleider, J.L, Wasanga, C., & Weisz, J. R. (2020). The Shamiri group intervention for adolescent anxiety and depression: Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial of a lay provider-delivered, school-based intervention in Kenya. Trials, 21(938). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-04732-1
- Osborn, T.L., Wasil, A.R, Weisz, J.R., Kleinman, A., &Ndetei, D.M. (2020). Where is the global in global mental health? A call forinclusive multicultural collaboration. General Psychiatry, 33:e100351. https://doi.org/10.1136/gpsych-2020-100351
- Osborn, T.L, Rodriguez, M., Wasil, A., Venturo-Conerly, K.E., Gan,J., Alemu, R.G., Roe, E., Arango G., S., Otieno, B.H., Wasanga, C.M., Shingleton, R., & Weisz, J.R. (2020). Single-session digital intervention for adolescent depression, anxiety and well-being: Outcomes of a randomized controlled trial with Kenyan adolescents. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 88(7), 657-668. https://doi.org/10.1037/ccp0000505
- Osborn, T. L., WasilA.R., Venturo-Conerly, K.E., Schleider, J. L., & Weisz, J. R. (2020). Group intervention for adolescent anxiety and depression: Outcomes of a randomized trial with adolescents in Kenya. Behavior Therapy,51(4), 601-615. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2019.09.005
- Osborn, T. L., Venturo-Conerly, K. E., Wasil, A. R., Schleider, J. L., & Weisz, J.R. (2020). Depression and Anxiety Symptoms, Social Support, and DemographicFactors Among Kenyan High School Students.Journal of Child and FamilyStudies, 29(5),1432–1443. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-019-01646-8